Stages of AMD
- “Dry” (atrophic) AMD: Approximately 80% of people with AMD have the dry form, which can slowly progress to late- (geographic) or end-stage disease2
- “Wet” (neovascular) AMD: Although the wet form is less common, vision loss can be faster and more severe; about 90% of cases of legal blindness caused by AMD are due to this form2,5
Although AMD has 2 types, it also can be separated into 3 stages2, 7-12:
- Severe dry AMD (also called geographic atrophy), with retinal tissue thinning involving the center of the macula
- Wet AMD (also called neovascular AMD)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). What is macular degeneration? 2021. https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/amd-macular-degeneration.
- AAO. Age-related macular degeneration Preferred Practice Pattern®. Ophthalmology. 2020;127:P1-P65. https://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/age-related-macular-degeneration-ppp.
- AAO. What are drusen? 2021. https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-are-drusen.
- Klein R, Klein BE, Linton KL. Prevalence of age-related maculopathy; the Beaver Dam Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 1992;99:933-943.
- Shaw PX, Stiles T, Douglas C, et al. Oxidative stress, innate immunity, and age-related macular degeneration. AIMS Mol Sci. 2016;3:196-221.
- Shutterstock.com. Age-related macular degeneration. Item 83736805. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/eye-condition-macular-degeneration-83736805.
- Ferris FL 3rd, Wilkinson CP, Bird A, et al. Clinical classification of age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:844-851.
- American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS). The Foundation Retina Health Series. Age-related macular degeneration. 2022. https://www.asrs.org/patients/retinal-diseases/2/age-related-macular-degeneration.
- Diseases at the back of the eye. Comm Eye Health J. 2014;27:70-71.
- Cook GR. Retina Image Bank. 2019;29839. https://imagebank.asrs.org/file/29839/atrophic-amd-with-soft-drusen.
- Huang SS. Age-related macular degeneration – geographic atrophy. Retina Image Bank. 2013;6298. https://imagebank.asrs.org/file/6298/age-related-macular-degeneration-geographic-atrophy.
- Kelly MP. Retina Image Bank. 2012;729. https://imagebank.asrs.org/file/729/age-related-macular-degeneration.
- Ayoub T, Patel N. Age-related macular degeneration. J R Soc Med. 2009;102:56-61.
- Rauch R, Weingessel B, Maca SM, Vecsei-Marlovits PV. Time to first treatment: the significance of early treatment of exudative age-related macular degeneration. Retina. 2012;32:1260-1264.
All URLs accessed 2/8/22.