Treatments and Strategies to Maintain Vision
It is possible to have a different stage of AMD in each eye.1 Treatment will be tailored specifically for each person and each eye.
Stages and Treatments:
Severe AMD - Dry
Severe AMD - Wet
Maintaining healthy eyes and vision
Your primary care provider (PCP) can help you quit smoking, recommend a nutritionist or help you maintain a healthy weight. Your care team for AMD will include your PCP and eye care provider and may also include a retinal specialist, low vision specialist, and nutritionist.
- Flaxel CJ, Adelman RA, Bailey ST, et al. Age-related macular degeneration preferred practice pattern®. Ophthalmology. 2020;127:P1-P65.
- Tomany SC, Wang JJ, Van Leeuwen R, et al. Risk factors for incident age-related macular degeneration: Pooled findings from 3 continents. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:1280-1287.
- Adams MKM, Simpson JA, Aung KZ, et al. Abdominal obesity and age related macular degeneration. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;173:1246-1255.
- Chong EW, Kreis AJ, Wong TY, et al. Dietary omega-3 fatty acid and fish intake in the primary prevention of age-related macular degeneration: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126:826-833.
- Merle BMJ, Colijn JM, Cougnard-Grégoire A, et al. Mediterranean diet and incidence of advanced age-related macular degeneration: The EYE-RISK consortium. Ophthalmology. 2019; 126:381-390.
- Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group. A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of high-dose supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene and zinc for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss: AREDS report number 8. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119:1417-1436.
- Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 Research Group. Lutein + zeaxanthin and omega-3 fatty acids for age-related macular degeneration: The Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2) randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2013;309:2005-2015.
- AREDS2-HOME Study Research Group. Randomized trial of a home monitoring system for early detection of choroidal neovascularization home monitoring of the Eye (HOME) study. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:535-544.